Embedding Online Video in Presentation

I’m representing a group of learners and teachers who have the desire to move over to the Collabora Online environment from Google or Office 365. Collabora Online ticks off the majority of the boxes for functionality, however is missing the ability from being able to embed an online video into an Impress/Presentation slide.

This is possible in both offline versions of MS Office since the early 2010’s, O365, and front and center in Google’s rendition of slides, naturally opting for people to embed something from Youtube.

This is functionality I feel would be beneficial to users and the Collabora Online platform as rich media sharing is more and more common. Personally, I am a bit of a neckbeard, A presentation should be static and portable without an online requirement, however I’m in a minority in this thinking today with the “always online” mentality.

Is this something that could be considered, and would there be a more formal approach to submit this as a feature request? I have been following your development team meeting notes on here, but see this is a fairly low traffic area, should other users wish to comment on their own thoughts of this suggestion. I’ll go wherever you point me.

EDIT: I believe there is probably a workflow step that would allow to have somone grab a link, and a thumbnail of a video and make them forward to the website in question. I have not tested, it does seem laborious.

With respect, Dave | Tiredofit

Hi and welcome to the forum @tiredofit!

Collabora Online ticks off the majority of the boxes for functionality, however is missing the ability from being able to embed an online video into an Impress/Presentation slide.

As of now there are no plans to add this in. However that doesn’t mean it should be tracked and considered :slight_smile: Could you please file an enhancement issue on GitHub: Sign in to GitHub · GitHub ?

This is functionality I feel would be beneficial to users and the Collabora Online platform as rich media sharing is more and more common. Personally, I am a bit of a neckbeard, A presentation should be static and portable without an online requirement, however I’m in a minority in this thinking today with the “always online” mentality.

Ehe yeah the fact that is possible to take anywhere, it’s interoperable and can be used with other tools (copy pasting charts, svgs etc) it’s pretty sweet :heart: but I get what you are saying.

We are also in IRC etc mainly for development related stuff but here is the community pages: Communicate | Collabora Online - Community Page

Thanks for not only taking the time to sign up and of course for writing this up :slight_smile:

Hey @tiredofit,

Embedded video is now possible since November 2022:

• COOL 22.05.8.4 or higher

See the:

Playback of embedded videos in Impress
With new support for embedded media files, it is now possible to click on an embedded video, in edit mode, and have the video played back in the browser. The user is presented with the standard video controls, including the ability to pause, seek, control the volume, and maximize the video to full screen. In addition, the user is able to move the placement of the video by using drag-and-drop interactions, and resize it.

Side Note: If you want to see it in action—or learn more technical details—see the fantastic talk given at last year’s Collabora conference:

Thanks for the feature request. :slight_smile:

Thanks for the reply! I was pretty specific in my original message about embedding an online video (ie something from vimeo,youtube,remote url). I have watched the development and saw that Impress allowed the embedding of a video within its document payload. Unfortunately it doesn’t meet my needs right now but I am happy to see any progress with video / media playback :slight_smile:

I was pretty specific in my original message about embedding an online video (ie something from vimeo,youtube,remote url).

Ahhh. Have you submitted a Feature Request in the Collabora Github yet?

I see someone posted this:

Ashod wrote this:

Inserting new audio/video in a document is a day-2 item, currently not supported (of course it can be done from the desktop suite).

And I see it was also put on the “In Progress” list in February.

Hopefully that means Inserting Video will be added soon too. :slight_smile:

Unfortunately it doesn’t meet my needs right now but I am happy to see any progress with video / media playback

Glorious. Well, definitely keep an eye out on the changelogs then. :slight_smile: