Thesaurus disabled - missing dependency?

I’ve installed Collabora Online before on Debian 11 with the following (after adding repos to apt):

apt install -y coolwsd code-brand hunspell-en-us mythes-en-us

This has resulted in a working Collabora Online server that I’ve been able to use with my Nextcloud instance; with spellcheck and thesaurus working. However on my latest build, Collabora, 23.05.1.2, the thesaurus stays disabled. I have both folders /usr/share/mythes and /usr/share/hunspell present but to no avail.

Have I missed a dependency? I know I’ve got it working before.

Looks like I simply needed to install collaboraoffice-dict-en

apt install -y collaboraoffice-dict-en
1 Like

Hey @Steveorevo, welcome to the forum! :slight_smile:

Glad to see you solved your own problem.

• Were you following any sort of installation instructions?
  • How did you find out about the collaboraoffice-dict-en package?

I didn’t find any instructions (sadly). I wanted to do a basic installation based on packages alone vs docker or another pre-fab solution (short of building from source). After hours of reading, finding Collabora’s github repo, then finding what would be docker instructions (which surely works); I was able to locate the deprecated repo, which then took me to the current repo, which then allowed me to locate what’s used for docker. Examining the docker install instructions revealed whats actually being done.

This was complicated further by using NextCloud as the client; it’s fixated on German as the default language and the Collabora UI for thesaurus doesn’t actually enable until you have both your document set for the same language as the installed thesauri (which isn’t obvious). Further, there are no clear instructions to setting a default language when creating a new blank document in NextCloud (tried everything so far to no avail).

Lastly, just setting a document’s language isn’t documented anywhere for the CODE. Everything I’ve seen is about LibreOffice and the most obvious toolbar icon for setting the language for the entire document, a paragraph, or selection simply doesn’t apply to the default of the document (despite being labeled “entire document”); that feature applies strictly to the existing content of the document and not the document itself (confusing).

Instead, to align the stars; one needs to go to the Format Menu, then select the Character Icon, and then locate the Font selection listbox on the left (not the one on the right) and select the language associated with the installed language thesauri and spellcheck you have installed. That Font area actually dictates the document’s language.

Then, and only then is the Thesaurus icon enabled.

Intuitive, no? :scream:

Thanks for this detailed info. This really helps. :slight_smile:

(I partly got brought on board to fix up + maintain Collabora’s documentation. In the previous 2 years, I wrote nearly 1000 LibreOffice step-by-step instructions + tutorials!)

This is perfect—because I’m pretty new to the whole Collabora Online too—so we’re both looking at this as users with “fresh eyes”. :slight_smile:

So, if I’m summarizing you correctly…

You were also having trouble finding instructions for:

• Docker installation
    • Even Nextcloud
  • “Change Document’s Language” instructions
    • Spelling / Dictionary / Thesaurus
    • Especially for:
      • All “New Documents”.
      • Defaulting to “German” instead of English.

And, it would be nice to have an easier way to:

• Change document’s default language.
    • Especially with the Tabbed UI!

Thanks for all this detailed info though, it’ll really help make Collabora better. :slight_smile:

How did you find out about the collaboraoffice-dict-en package?

I didn’t find any instructions (sadly).

Hmmm, I did a quick search through the Collabora Online SDK.

It took me quite a while to find, but I found it mentioned in:

Spelling dictionaries and thesauri

Collabora Online can use internal spelling dictionaries and thesauri (collaboraoffice*-dict-* packages). Collabora Online can use system spelling dictionaries and thesauri, too, that are located in /usr/share/hunspell and /usr/share/mythes directories.

I’ll mark that down as an area that needs updating. :slight_smile:

Very hard to find in search. Even when I was using keywords like:

• language
  • collaboraoffice-dict

(And no normal human uses the word “thesauri”!)

Side Note: Another trick you can do is type this into your favorite search engine:

• spelling site:https://sdk.collaboraonline.com/

That will help search through ONLY the SDK instructions as well.

Further, there are no clear instructions to setting a default language when creating a new blank document in NextCloud (tried everything so far to no avail).

Lastly, just setting a document’s language isn’t documented anywhere for the CODE. […]

Hmmm… in Collabora Online 23.05, looks like language changes are different in the “Tabbed View” compared to the “Compact View”. See the tutorials below.

As a user, there’s also the language in the bottom status bar:

Last year, for LibreOffice, I wrote a tutorial describing the 3 different ways to change language:

1. Menu
  2. Status Bar
  3. Styles

See the post here:

Collabora Online’s are similar, but different…

AND, we have a 4th extra one on top… because:

• The server (ADMINS/Docker/Nextcloud) can decide what the default document language is (?)

which may cause an extra layer on confusion. Like let’s say your case:

• A “German” admin
  • An English user

I suspect you’d want a newly created document to be based off the user’s language.

Changing Document’s Language (Collabora Online 23.05)

The menu options currently exist in Collabora Online, but you have to use Compact View instead!

1. Go to:

• View > Compact View

2. This will get you the:

• Tools > Language

menu with all 3 options:

• For Selection
  • For Paragraph
  • For All Text
    • This will change the entire document’s language!

After, to get back to Tabbed UI, press:

• View > Use Tabbed View

Everything I’ve seen is about LibreOffice and the most obvious toolbar icon for setting the language for the entire document, a paragraph, or selection simply doesn’t apply to the default of the document (despite being labeled “entire document”); that feature applies strictly to the existing content of the document and not the document itself (confusing).

Hmmm, so if you:

• Set 100% of the document’s text to one language

… then:

• the document’s language doesn’t change too?

Definitely sounds like an issue we could report (to the Github)!

I swear that’s how it used to work in a slightly older version of LibreOffice.

(But I just retested LO 7.5.4, and the Status Bar method doesn’t work that way. Wonder if something changed within the past year?)

1 Like

I brought this up in today’s COOL Weekly Meeting.

On Changing Language

This exists in the Tabbed View. It’s under the REVIEW tab!

If you go to:

• Review > Language

you can change the document’s language! You’ll get access to all 3:

• For Selection
  • For Paragraph
  • For All Text

On Changing Language (Status Bar)

A fix just happened today!

This added those 3 types into the Status Bar version as well!

It should arrive in the next version of 23.05. :slight_smile:

1 Like