502 Bad Gateway in NextCloud after dist-upgrade (--> Ubuntu 24.04)

TLDR: 502 on ubuntu - look for coolmount in coolwsd log - install coolwsd-deprecated

In-depth explanation
So here I was getting 502 Bad Gateway whenever trying to open documents or even just connect to https:///hosting/discovery
I spent an embarrassing amount of time , reading nginx docs ( yes - I use nginx not Apache) , generating tons of logs, adding hostnames to /etc/hosts apart from localhost etc etc etc to no avail
Until i found out what was wrong
In my case It was down do an error arising when coolwsd executed coolmount
Apparently, coolmount does not get installed when following instructions (i.e. fetching from Index of /repos/CollaboraOnline/CODE-deb in my case)
As stated , the error reports in my case were misleading hinting anything apart from the problem ( although the coolwsd error log actually showed the problem but drowned in tons of other messages ,)
to solve the problem I just added the missing bits by installing
sudo apt install coolwsd-deprecated
and after that, hosting/discovery responded correctly
I had to add WOPI network infor ( in my case just adding 192.168.0.0/16 to get running ) and thats it! Nextcloud Office works again
I think it would have been good if either the coolwsd-deprecated package got installed with the main package ( speaking for ubuntu only as I didnt test anything else )
Hopefully, someone may save some time :slight_smile:

1 Like

@suppejens That’s fantastic! Thank you so much for sharing this and helping to save others from going through the same trouble in the future. Your detailed explanation and solution will definitely be a huge help to many.

Appreciate the effort you put into resolving this and for taking the time to post it here!

Solution : 502 Bad Gateway in NextCloud after dist-upgrade (--> Ubuntu 24.04)