Collabora Online Weekly #104

Collabora Online Weekly Meeting #104

Date: Jan 19th 2023

All minutes published on: Topics tagged meeting-minutes

Attendees (write your name):

  • Pedro, Szymon, Gülşah, Michael, Andras, Gabriel, Cosmin, Gökay, Nicolas, Cor, Kendy, Naomi, Ezinne, Pranam

Release schedule (Gokay)

  • Next CODE 22.05 next week it will include all the latest fixes including new features such as new bibliography etc
  • Then (maybe in 1 month or so) we will release new CODE version based on the new LO kit


  • Been exploring the code-base
  • investigating an issue – sometimes too many saves to the storage.
  • Some 21.11 branch – discussing trying the newest version – 22.05

Nextcloud bits (Julius)

  • Working on dropping an .ini file in top-level Nextcloud sync folders so that the desktop client can interact with locking / desktop / collaborative editing as the user chooses → waiting for desktop client team (richdocuments PR ready)

  • Copy while in read only mode → AI: Pedro create task

  • User mentions pull request is in progress Implement user mentions API by Raudius · Pull Request #2576 · nextcloud/richdocuments · GitHub → merged

    • Raul out for a bit → we need to hand off that. Missing: sending notification to the user.
    • Julius is taking over and it should be available in the next NC 26 release
  • New richdocuments releases coming out later today

Community (Pedro)

Community: Forum

  • This year we had activity every single week
  • hidden menu bar bug → requested screenshot and bug report on github
  • Jumping cursor
    • Rodrigo willing to try to help if it’s not fixed already
    • Szymon’s patch → waiting for review, it already passed all tests → now merged
      • AI: Ezinne to double check → AI: Ping Ezinne
  • Thanks wwe for replying all those questions

Community: Dark mode

  • AI: Pedro needs to rebase dark mode branch (and solve any conflicts coming from new sidebar work) , then ping Andreas K.
  • Branch was very old and with multiple conficts. Branch rebased and now ready to receive Prs. AI → rebase branch and force push
  • There is an issue:Add a dark mode · Issue #4382 · CollaboraOnline/online · GitHub
  • Why in a branch not master ?
    • We got regressions left & right here.
      • Affecting the non-dark-mode.
      • Plan to add a switcher so it doesn’t do it automatically.
    • Can just merge it – and hide the switcher.
      • Make it visible in CODE.
      • Also trigger info jsdialogs.
  • Michael poking in his spare time at this.


  • Started to working on a new issue (found in 21.x version): It seems multiple savings (in unmodified documents) in between very short chunks of time (seconds)
  • Aron: how do you monitor the status of the document? Is the save icon button showing that is saved? Sometimes we save due to stuff happening on the core side (even if there is no user modification); Gabriel: don’t know this was reported as in “documents are identical”
    • It’s quite old version. I can check it quickly to see if there is any obvious cause.
  • AI for Gabriel: Create a ticket with this info and maybe worth to mention Ash there.

GitHub activity (Pedro)

  • Gulsah
    • Chart size PPTX → Impress. Now working on this following Quikee code pointer → When we have auto layout somehow position and size is decided for the plot area → needs to find where this is happening. → Have a working solution but one test is not passing: 143179: Use same plot area distance with Microsoft Office → fixed but tests need to be updated. AI: Ping Quikee → Pedro: pinged Quikee, he will check the tests. Thanks
      • Chart: Tests updated , already pushed and now waiting.
      • Quikee fixed tested, reviewed and it is merged!
    • Now working on fixing multiple dialogs being opened at once (welcome and missing fonts)
      • It fixes: impossible to dismiss dialog by clicking anywhere else
      • it fixes: impossible to dismiss at all on mobile
      • Done and font missing now is a jsdialog (plus previous mobile bugs fixed)
  • Epub enabling dialog on mobile
  • Windows-only scrollbar issue
  • JSDialog focus issue
  • Now fixing sidebar issue
    • Probably comes from core (the empty element is also present in core side)
  • User wants to have log out button on the admin console
    • PR :
    • Gokay: Working on the session logic. Already have a login page.
    • Gokay: already improved, now we have a login page! Add logout button to admin console #5416 waiting review AI: emptying cookies didn’t work, ping Kendy
      • Kendy :Probably best to delay this to a calm period where we can test it completely
      • Gokay: removing the cookie seems not working. Also, maybe I can play with JSON properties and see if there is another alternative
      • Michael: Happy to review but let’s not rewrite auth browser logic, probably best to setup a call → A.I. Gokay
  • Context TopToolbar for all apps #3869 ← ressurect this PR would be good but without animation. → Ping Andreas K.

Design bits (Pedro and others)

  • Hannah → list of dialogs / jsdialogs etc.

    • Looking at the core side dialogs so we can see which ones are missing tp convert to JSDialogs in the Online
    • Finding instructions of how to launch each dialog
    • Which do we have in online & which do we not have.
    • Probably good to add comment/list into: How to help with JSDialogs development (porting dialogs to native HTML)
    • Removed the last leaflet dialog – have only vex dialogs (Szymon)
      • which leaves the tunnelled dialogs.
      • Saw a few simple dialogs can convert
    • Found some which look easier to convert (Hannah)
      • can send a list of these (Szymon)
        • some bits around fields.
    • Will end up with a big spreadsheet here.
  • Szymon: Now new JSDialog type to be used for all warning dialogs. We can use to replace vex dialogs of these type. Now being used for hyperlink “leaving the editor” dialog (former vex dialog). The plan here is to start to replace vex dialogs one by one sequentially (so it’s better for QA/testing and less prone to regressions)

    • Hyperlink done
    • Font missing also converted by Gulsah
    • AI: Which is the next in line? → not really a dialog but we could remove the infobar vex wrapper
  • Bibliography icons, layout merged

Other ongoing work

  • Uses some interaction handling sync, not working at the moment

  • Pranam & Szymon

    • Improving bibliography on writer. Now commits are already on master.
    • Pedro is now also on this
    • Improving the API key (differently handled depending on the information type , if it is private or public properties)
    • Citation preferences: shows now citation depending on the language but if the language is not available it gets inserted using the style’s defaults
    • Now working on how the citations is stored if field (different implementation for ODF and MSO) or bookmark (supported for evey format including documents that were created and operated with Zotero desktop)
    • Pranam:
      • Sorting bibliography (pending)
      • Handling multiple citations (they should get merge) (pending)
      • Bibliography: now possible to be updated
        • Undo/redo issue still pending (core doesn’t send notification) ← Szymon : maybe I can try to send status notification
  • Szymon:

    • Line break fix for DeepL fixed, next → add test
      • Found second case: selecting the new document → to do
    • Jumping cursor → it needed to be double tested → Gokay tested, let’s keep the latest merged commit on this
      • Szymon: still I would like to revisited this (I think we might be cancelling tiles when scrolling) ← AI
  • Nick & Szymon

    • Exporting as PDF dialog → async
      • done and merged
    • Now missing set password sub-dialog to be async

COOL Days 2023

  • COOL Days 2023 - Cambridge, UK - Collabora Office and Collabora Online
  • We have booked the beautiful Clare College on 28th and 29th March 2023, one of the many famous Cambridge Colleges for our next Collabora Online Conference.
    • Book your seat, fill the form! - free accomodation from 27th → 30th & food for attendees.
    • Speakers much appreciated
    • It should be easy to travel to airport London Stansted and then get to Cambridge by Train.
    • There will be hackfests, Collabora Online and LibreOffice and much more fun
    • Keep an eye for event updates every week
    • AIL Link this to the chat headers
  • (Naomi) Send emails (invitations) → also possibly add more info to the web page → Done

Next meeting