Exporting from Calc to CSV format

Hi Friends!
For the Italian association to which I belong, I’ve just installed, by native “deb” packages (not Docker), on my own Debian Server, Collabora Online 6.4 on Nextcloud 19.01 and all seems to works fine :wink:

I, however, a worry: how is it possible to export CSV from Collabora Online spreadsheet?
Actually if I go to “Save As” no any other options/possibilities can find:

Test.ods

I’ve find this documentation , but I don’t find a match, and what I expect to find is also, be able to activate options format into “Save As” menu item.

Do I need to complete additional server-side procedures?

Many thanks!

Davide

2 Likes

Hi :slight_smile:

For the Italian association to which I belong, I’ve just installed, by native “deb” packages (not Docker), on my own Debian Server, Collabora Online 6.4 on Nextcloud 19.01 and all seems to works fine

that’s great! :partying_face:

I, however, a worry: how is it possible to export CSV from Collabora Online spreadsheet?
Actually if I go to “Save As” no any other options/possibilities can find

Yes! You can just rename the file extension to .csv and it should work

Save as .CSV

1. File > Save as…
  2. Rename file extension to .csv
  3. you can now test it by trying to import it

Import .CSV

1. Open you .csv file using your preferred simple text editor
  2. Select all its contents
  3. Copy ctrl + c
  4. Go to your Collabora Online browser tab and open a spreadsheet document
  5. Paste it ctrl + v
  6. A dialog appears where you can tweak the formatting (separated by comma) and check the preview, hit ok : )

2 Likes

oh and just a reminder you can always easy access online help both on classic and notebookbar mode:

1 Like

Hi @pedro.silva and thanks for your help!

I’ve made some test, and confirm: “saving as” csv convert files to “comma separated values” files.
But things happen:

• the file is exported in UTF16, where here in Italy we use UTF8 (so, at first sight, it seems unreadable, with all the consequences that this can generate in non-expert users. You had me going there… :stuck_out_tongue:

• into documentation, on point 5 is described:

(Optional) Set the field options for the Text CSV file.
Select Edit filter settings.
In the Export of text files dialog, select the options that you want.
Click OK

but there is not an text export files dialog, where to customize the csv output format. Why does the documentation describe something that isn’t there? Would I need to install something additional on the server side?

Thanks again!

Davide

• into documentation, on point 5 is described

Why does the documentation describe something that isn’t there?

The documentation is for Collabora Office, while we discuss Collabora Online here :wink: Of course, the latter has a very different UI, and what you read for the former might not apply for the latter. It’s not “something that isn’t there” :slight_smile:

Ah, my misunderstanding!

Well, now is clear for me too! :smiley:

…but does this mean that it is not possible to give a custom formatting to any output csv?

Thanks again!

You are right, it seems there’s no way to export to CSV with settings.

While IMO it should not allow to “download as” CSV (for the obvious reason that CSV can’t handle most basic cases, like several sheets in a file), it seems natural to provide the CSV in the clipboard when you select and copy. Currently it seems to put some TSV-like thing to clipboard in that case, e.g. skipping empty cells.

Wrt UTF-16: I couldn’t repro that on our test instance. For me, it exported in ASCII or something like that (e.g., turned Russian characters into ?). Possibly that depends on some server configuration (locale? Collabora Office’s registrymodifications.xcu?).

2 Likes

Sob! :cry:

Well!

I will investigate!

Thanks!

I wonder if there is a better way to avoid misunderstandings, maybe by not loading the newly created text file (.csv) automatically (because it kinda by passes the import options step leading to faulty end result).

However that type of behavior (to load automatically) is expected from Save as hm…:thinking:

1 Like

I’m not sure to have understand what you mean, but from my CO installation, I’ve not the ability to import CSV.
Trying to open any “.csv” file from NextCloud (open with Collabora Online Developer Edition…) do not produce any understandable spreadsheet.

I want to clarify that this CSV was created by CO.

oh I see because it is not possible to open the CSV file itself but rather import it. Here is how:

How can I import CSV data?

1. Load your CSV data in some native tool to your platform, select and copy it to the clipboard

2. Activate the Collabora Online spreadsheet window.

3. Paste from the browser EditPaste or press Ctrl + V. The Text Import dialogue box opens to let you describe the precise format of the CSV data.

4. Select the character set, language and separator options for the CSV file.

The CSV data is loaded into the selected cell where you pasted, according to these settings.

you can access this and other tidbits by accessing the Help menu -> Online Help (in your Collabora Online Developer Edition)

Yes, i’ve been seen your previous post where you described the same procedure, anyway what need is a easiest way, otherwise Google Documents eats gnocchi on our heads * :wink:

Thanks!

• Italian way of saying that he “surpasses” us

:spaghetti: (no gnocchi emoji : / )

…hoops!

gnocchi_in_testa

ahah gnocchi in testa X D