Strange tall cursor (sometimes) using mouse with iPad?

I just recently connected an Apple Magic Mouse (1st gen) to my iPad. Usually, in most areas of my Calc sheets, the mouse cursor is the usual iPad transparent center circle, changing shape a bit to outline larger icons in the controls sections. But sometimes, after clicking or double-clicking in some data cells, it becomes a tall narrow loop, and stays that way all over the screen until I click in a different cell:

Does this have a purpose?

Hey @LorenAmelang,

Thanks for this bug report with a weird iOS+mouse issue.

Like we discussed in:

Using the mouse on these touch-focused OSes leads to all sorts of oddities.

On iOS especially, a “mouse click” is not equivalent to a “finger press” like you would expect. It’s treated like a completely different thing.

If you want, you can submit this weird oval cursor to the “Collabora Github” though.

Then it’ll make it easier for developers to be aware of + find + track.

But, for now, probably a good idea to use your fingers on your iPad instead. :slight_smile:

My problem with using fingers is that the menu items don’t scale up with the sheet content, they stay hard for me to hit.

Aha! No preview here, just “This topic has been solved”. Seems there was a notice in that style on my first reply…

Fantastic. Thanks for submitting the issue to Github.

My problem with using fingers is that the menu items don’t scale up with the sheet content, they stay hard for me to hit.

Ahh, okay.

So that “iOS menus not scaling when zoomed” could be a separate Github issue to report too!

How are you Zooming on iOS? Pinch/Zoom? Or going into Accessibility and raising the font size HUGE?

Again, screenshots/pictures help. So you can do something like:

• Show UI/menus with Normal font size.
  • Show UI/menus with HUGE font size.

Side Note: If each issue is broken down into smaller, bite-sized pieces, it makes it easier for developers/testers to tackle:

• Problem A
  • Problem B
  • Problem C

instead of trying to smush everything into one, monolithic, iOS super-bug. :slight_smile:

Aha! No preview here, just “This topic has been solved”. Seems there was a notice in that style on my first reply…

Yes, you can press the little ‘X’ in the upper-right corner to remove that and see the normal post preview.

That “Solved” was recently added to the forums, which lets us mark high-quality answers.

So if someone comes across the post in the future, they wouldn’t have to wade through (many other potential) posts—the “Solution” will just show up right below first post.

I guess that gray window is there as a side effect, just in case someone is trying to revive an older topic with a solution already inside.

I have larger text on in Accessibility, but only one notch up by default. Does not seem to affect Collabora. Neither does the aA setting in the top right Apple control panel dropdown. Zooming with menu commands or pinch inside Calc only changes the sheet content, not the menus. I guess it would be tricky to expand the menus, which are often already two screens wide with lots of things invisible. Maybe they could optionally line wrap on iPad? There is lots of space on my 12.9" screen! I’d love to see them twice as big, on as many lines as needed. Especially in Compact View.

But the menu items are about the same size as Apple’s navigation buttons, so I doubt any normal users would consider my issues a bug. My essential tremor sucks! I just need to learn the tricks of using the mouse.