Italian units of measure Writer

Hi, I’m using Collabora Office 22.05.10.06 and I noticed that if I open the paragraph options in writer the unit of measurement is indicated “ch” instead of “cm”.
In the text, however, it is correct.

It is inconvenient, however, if I want to set it from the options.
I set everything to Italian, even the units of measure.
I attach screenshots.

in Libreoffice 7.5.5.2 it works correctly and there are “cm” and not “ch” (see screenshot)

Hey @guarom, thanks for the bug report + screenshots.

One thing to test first…

Can you update to:

or:

There’s been LOTS of fixes since 22.05.10, so perhaps this weird “ch units” issue was already fixed.

I noticed that if I open the paragraph options in writer the unit of measurement is indicated “ch” instead of “cm”.

I can’t reproduce your bug in Collabora Office 23.05.2…

But I do confirm something a little funky going on in Collabora Online 23.05.2 though!

When I click on:

• “Format” tab.
  • “Paragraph” button.
  • “Indents & Spacing” tab.

I see “ch” units, although I’m in English, and the rest of my units all show inches:

Here’s my Help > About info:

COOLWSD version: 23.05.2.2 (git hash: 16bb3284)
LOKit version: Collabora Office 23.05.2.2 (git hash: 0f9beed)
Served by: Linux Mint 21.1
Server ID: 2a5e3a97

Related Bugs?

I did a search in LibreOffice’s Bugzilla for anything resembling:

• units ch site:https://bugs.documentfoundation.org/

and came across these 2 older bugs too:

In #101895, Mike Kaganski wrote:

IMO, the problem is, that the char unit is enabled and used whenever Asian is enabled in language settings, regardless of the locale.

Potential Debugging

I notice in your 2nd screenshot, there are 2 extra checkboxes below your units:

• Enable char unit
    • (I think THIS is the weird “ch” unit we’re seeing!)
  • Use square page mode for text grid

This is what it looks by default though:

So…

• Are “Asian” languages enabled for you?

If you:

1. Go to Tools > Options.
  2. Go to Language Settings > Languages

you should see 3 boxes:

• Western
  • Asian
  • Complex text layout

by default, those last 2 are OFF. You may have accidentally turned them on.

This is what it looks like by default:

After you:

• Disable “Asian” language
  • Completely close/reopen Collabora Office.

I’m betting your weird ch issue will be solved.

Hi Mike thanx for your answer…
Just one question… how can I upgrade Collabora Office?

I bought CO from the windows store but it doesn’t show me updates.
are there any updates planned?
how can i try?
I use co for work…
Thanx a lot

Whoa, you answered very quickly!

I just edited my previous post, adding a lot more info at the bottom.

Can you test some of my latest steps to see if they help?

I think your “ch” units issue might be because “Asian” typography is enabled for you, which is causing those settings/units to appear. Once that’s fixed, hopefully your initial problem disappears.

Just one question… how can I upgrade Collabora Office?

I bought CO from the windows store but it doesn’t show me updates.

Ahh… I’m unsure how the Windows Store works then. I assume that version will update on its own. (???)

I will ask in tomorrow’s Collabora Weekly Meeting, and I’ll have an answer for you soon. :slight_smile:

Edit: Looks like the current latest release of Collabora Office is 22.05.10.

are there any updates planned?

Yes, there’s a huge 23.05 release that’s just been happening and just released!

I guess it hasn’t been rolled out to all the various stores/OSes yet.

And there is lots of awesome new stuff added since last year’s 22.05. :slight_smile:

how can i try?

If you want to try to bleeding-edge Collabora Office test versions… there’s:

but that might have bugs in it, and probably shouldn’t be used on real documents. Probably better to wait for the official releases. :slight_smile:

wow! you were very quick to reply! :grin::grin::grin::partying_face::partying_face:

23.05?! Where? when? :scream::sob::sob:
I saw announcements for other versions of Collabora (code, online…) on your official site, but not for office…
But is there a way to download the official versions not from the windows store?
the only advantage of the store are the automatic updates, which obviously don’t work well… :grimacing:

I’ll try what you suggested but unfortunately I’m not so good at doing very technical things…

but I really like trying to collaborate, especially if there is a real match!
some time ago I had reported other problems always related to the version downloaded from the store but I hadn’t had any response… :sweat_smile:
I wrote quite alone… :crazy_face::crazy_face::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

meanwhile… again thank you very much! :slightly_smiling_face:

Reading your suggestions: I tried unchecking Asian language and now the unit of measure is correct.
“Strange things”… :stuck_out_tongue:
It would be more convenient if everything were automatic. :grin:
I attach the screenshot.
But I ask you for information on updates because with windows it is really too slow and “frustrating” … :wink:
Thanks a lot again for your attention!
Guido

now the unit of measure is correct.

Fantastic!

Reading your suggestions: I tried unchecking Asian language […]

I attach the screenshot.

And uncheck that 2nd box too, which is:

• Complex Text Layout
    • Yours says “Disposizione testo complesso”

If you are only typing Italian, and not complicated languages like Chinese or Arabic/Hindi… there’s no need for those 2 options to be enabled.

It would be more convenient if everything were automatic. :grin:

Hmmm… I wonder how the heck those 2 boxes got checked for you in the first place.

By default, those should all be off.

I’ll try what you suggested but unfortunately I’m not so good at doing very technical things…

If you need more help, just ask. I can give any step-by-step instructions.

(And you already found your way into the various Tools > Options menus, which is more than most people!)

23.05?! Where? when? :scream::sob::sob:

It’s coming, it’s coming!

Right now, the main focus has been on 23.05 for:

• Collabora Online

but the other OSes (Windows/Mac + iOS/Android) are coming soon.

But is there a way to download the official versions not from the windows store?

Hmmm, I don’t believe so. (At least not on Windows/Mac.)

The “Unstable Snapshot” versions are the only ones, but those are mostly used for testing.

the only advantage of the store are the automatic updates, which obviously don’t work well… :grimacing:

I’m not that familiar with the “app store” versions.

I’m suspecting they’ll update automatically as soon as the official 23.05 releases comes out.

But I ask you for information on updates because with windows it is really too slow and “frustrating”

Oh? Did you mean:

• Collabora Office (the program) is running slow?
  • Or that “the updates” are coming out too slow?

some time ago I had reported other problems always related to the version downloaded from the store but I hadn’t had any response… :sweat_smile:

I wrote quite alone…

Oh? Was it this thread?

Well, you’re not alone now. I’ll be here helping answer questions in the Collabora Forum from now on!

again thank you very much!

You’re welcome. :slight_smile:

Great! Thanks for the info!
Just one thing…
You wrote: “Hmmm… I wonder how the heck those 2 boxes got checked for you in the first place. By default, those should all be off.

Strange … I also tried restarting CO in safe mode and resetting to factory settings and the two voices “Asian” and “complex text” are active.
Maybe there is some system setting (windows) that makes me activate them automatically… but here I give up… :wink:
but… I know myself… I’ll try to understand why… :wink:

You wrote: “Oh? Did you mean: Collabora Office (the program) is running slow?
Or that “the updates” are coming out too slow?

Sorry… I did not mean that. I expressed myself badly (language problems)… sorry!
I meant that sometimes updates with windows arrive perhaps later than the official releases/channels. but that’s okay :slight_smile:

You asked me: “Oh? Was it this thread? Loading Collabora Office at sturtup Windows and new document from shell

Yes!!! :wink:
the problems that I have indicated are a bit annoying… also because with LO they are not there.
the program CO works great all the same but I’m a little sorry for this difference between the versions.
But it’s ok :grin:
maybe this will be solved too :sunglasses:

Well… thanks again for all the suggestions and answers!
I really like trying to “collaborate” (in my small way) in these really useful and great projects!

Great! Thanks for the info!

I submitted the bug:

Hopefully we’ll find the root cause of the weird “ch” + “lines” and get it squished once and for all. :slight_smile:

Thanks again for bringing this to our attention.

Strange … I also tried restarting CO in safe mode and resetting to factory settings and the two voices “Asian” and “complex text” are active.

Hmmm, okay. Weird. Thanks for testing that too—“Safe Mode” is what I was going to recommend next!

In LibreOffice, those 2 checkboxes are off.

Collabora Office is mostly:

• LibreOffice + some Collabora-specific tweaks on top.

So maybe there’s something strange going on in the “LibreOffice->Collabora Office” tweaking steps. Or trying to get Collabora Office ready for the Windows Store.

I meant that sometimes updates with windows arrive perhaps later than the official releases/channels. but that’s okay :slight_smile:

Ahhh. Yes…

The Online version gets:

• Lots of the Collabora development focus.
  • + new features/updates come out fast!

The Windows/Mac version gets:

• Minor updates every month / few months.
  • the major release every year.

so it doesn’t feel as super exciting. :slight_smile:

the problems that I have indicated are a bit annoying… also because with LO they are not there.

Hmmm, it could be a Windows Store thing too. How Windows Store locks apps or makes them do weird things.

Similar with a lot of video games.

If you bought the game on:

• Steam, you can do whatever you want with it.
    • Mod + patch + move files around + fix options (like widescreen bugs), etc.
    • Download audio/subtitles in certain languages only.
  • Windows Store, the files are all locked into a giant blob.
    • Updates often redownload entire game.
    • Can’t easily patch files.

So maybe the Windows Store itself is limiting Collabora Office from doing some things you’re used to as a normally installed program.

Well… thanks again for all the suggestions and answers!

You’re welcome.

I really like trying to “collaborate” (in my small way) in these really useful and great projects!

Yes, me too. :slight_smile:

If you want, you can also:

Hello, sorry for writing you here again…
I got the latest C.Office update from Windows.
Finally I can automatically start CO from Windows (but you have to set it from the program settings in Windows), but the problem of new documents from an existing one with the right mouse button hasn’t been solved yet … but it’s already a good start ! :slight_smile:
Unfortunately I made several attempts but failed.
After the last update (great!!!) however I reported a bug that seems to me a regression…
I’m reporting the link, but someone replied that it wasn’t the right forum (of coolabora online) but I don’t know where to report it.
Can you give me a hand?
Writer: text underline - preview and print - bug? Regression? - User Support / Writer - Collabora Online
It’s a bit “annoying” bug…
Thanx!!!
Guido

1 Like

Hey guarom, there’s no need to ping or repost in other threads.

If you post a new topic, I’ll see it. :slight_smile:

Yep, looks like you caught another recent/odd one. :slight_smile:

I responded with more details inside that underline thread.

(And thanks for this “ch units” bug! It was bleeding into Collabora Online too, and nobody noticed it until your report!)

I told you 23.05 was coming eventually! :slight_smile:

Just a clarification for the “ch units” bug… after the update (23.05) it showed up again and I had to fix it manually in the options as you indicated. That’s the only way it worked out.
But it’s already a solution! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Great, thanks for the update on desktop 23.05.

If you look at the Github Issue #6984, there have also been a few more comments within the past few days too.

Now that more devs are aware of it, I suspect they’ll be looking into solutions/fixes too. :slight_smile: