Link to External Data menu missing in Calc

In my latest CODE installation (Docker Hub: collabora/code:6.4.6.8) I am not able to query external URLs with Calc.

Using =WEBSERVICE() function results in an error message: Err:540 for any URL. The status bar at the bottom indicates External content disabled.

Following the Inserting External Data in Table (WebQuery) guideline I do not see the Link to External Data icon/button on the Sheet tab.

Any ideas?

1 Like

Hey, Farrad,

I’m having the same issue; it just works fine when I created a new calc file and added the WEBSERVICE function to get some currency exchange data from an API. But if I closed the document and opened it again, I’m getting the same error "Err:540"

Also, I can see The status bar at the bottom indicates External content disabled .

Did you find any solution for that?

Hi , and thanks for reporting it.

Unfortunately I’m not sure that is not possible within Collabora Online. Maybe someone can help out here?

@bearon @andras.timar ?

I also raised this question in our today’s community meeting and it seems that is actually possible.

1 Like

Actually, it is working for the first usage.

If I created a new spreadsheet and added the function: =REGEX(WEBSERVICE("http://data.fixer.io/api/latest?access_key=XXXX&base=&symbols=USD"),"\d{1,2}[\,\.]{1}\d{1,5}")

It just works fine(1), but if I closed the file and opened it again it’s not working anymore(2). The problem is here(3).

You can see the related bug here about LibreOffice: https://bugs.documentfoundation.org/show_bug.cgi?id=144238

It is basically same issue I think.

for reference, here are the minutes of today’s meeting : https://forum.collaboraonline.com/t/collabora-online-weekly-meeting-40

loolkitconfig.xcu → should be a setting there (Michael)

• a matter of finding the setting & commenting it there.
  • Just change it in the PC version & diff registryconfig.xcu from config
  • and add the key there.
1 Like

There seems to be more complication to that. There are two settings needed for this.
The first is Calc’s General / ‘Update links when opening’ setting, which needs to be set to ‘Always (from trusted locations)’.

The config entry in loolkitconfig.xcu for this would be:
<item oor:path="/org.openoffice.Office.Calc/Content/Update"><prop oor:name="Link" oor:op="fuse"><value>0</value></prop></item>

Then the other is setting the trusted location, which would go something like this (the setting in an LO desktop build is under general config / Security / Macro Security… / Trusted Sources / Trusted File Locations):
<item oor:path="/org.openoffice.Office.Common/Security/Scripting"><prop oor:name="SecureURL" oor:op="fuse"><value><it>/here/is/some/location</it></value></prop></item>

The problem in this case is that the place where the document is stored in the jail is dynamic, eg. right now when I’m testing it, it’s /tmp/user/docs/P96dUx7eJivp05zA/ in this particular session, but that will change in the next one.

Hmm - I suspect that those paths are only for local macro files and not for remote internet URLs. It is possible that we’re not getting the dialog prompting the user to update links for some reason hmm; needs more research & code reading here.

Hi, thanks for the replies!

Should we wait for the next update to fixing it?

Hi @mmeeks @bearon ,

thanks for clarifying the topic.
Do you have any idea, when the dialog for updating links might be fixed?
I have now upgraded to the latest version: collabora/code:22.05.10.8.1
and added <item oor:path="/org.openoffice.Office.Calc/Content/Update"><prop oor:name="Link" oor:op="fuse"><value>0</value></prop></item> as @bearon suggested.

Still see Err:540