Collabora Online Weekly #83

Collabora Online Weekly Meeting #83

Date: July 28 2022

All minutes published on: Meeting Minutes - Collabora Online

Attendees (write your name):

• Pedro, Szymon, Ezinne, Gabriel M., Nicolas, Gokay, Rashesh, Michael, Skyler, Kendy, Aron, Nick W

Nicolas (Adfinis)

• The following issue bugs some of our team as we work with document properties in our template(s):
  • ETA for 22.05?
    • Do we have enterprise builds yet ? (Michael)
      • no only CODE so far (Aron)
      • COOL snapshots are available – std. URL – switch to 22.05 in there.
        • Should be updated daily – last 2 days ago.
      • Our favourite bugs are against these (Michael)
        • test issues on staging here to see if they’re fixed (Nicolas)
  • On this :slight_smile: about to start on thi. Started to look at file properties, it seems I will be able to do it. (Nick)

Release schedule (Michael)

• Have a set of 22.05 issues to solve
    • trying to estimate the fix date of these – so release date of COOL can be decided
    • Hope to do this next week – with a CODE alongside it.

Nextcloud bits (Julius)

• Julius: It seems undo blocks the first user’s changes (when multiple user work)

• Michael: actually, it does not work like that. It’s about how undo deals with conflicts (or better de-conflict those conflicts)
      • we handle some easy circumstances in writer – for independent paragraphs
      • will open a ticket for cells in Calc (Julius) – still need to do that
    • Asked someone to look at this (Michael)
    • Noel is working on this and making progress
  • Would love an API to extract change-tracking details from files (Julius)

• should be able to extract the changes reasonably easily (Michael)
    • comparing files for a fallback (Julius)
    • exposing this from an API would be good …
    • Talked a potential partner (Michael)
      • tested many of their customer → 2.5 up-version instead
        • who hated it =)
      • they preferred → red-lining.
    • Would like an iframe tweak with two wopi URLs that compares them (Julius)
    • A ‘compare button’ → perhaps more expected (Pedro)
  • Tor → font bits …

• continues to debug the font pieces
      • making progress & hopes to have a solution in a week.
    • Want to do a round of testing on their side again (Julius)
  • Remote config:

• COOL days conference – in Berlin Oct 2nd → 5th inclusive

• with partner day on the 4th and team-building on the 3rd …
    • community welcome to TBD team-building.
  • More details pending – reserve your calendar slot …

• to be announced properly shortly.

Skyler

• Working on JSDialog, trying to convert more dialogs
  • Already pushed some stuff both on online and core side :slight_smile:
  • Also trying to improve building instructions

Forum (Pedro)

Gabriel Masei

Invalidate tiles frenzy (Michale)

• We are getting tons of tile: messages, almost no deltas and excessive whole-document invalidation with this document.
    • That’s very odd.

GitHub activity (Pedro and Ezinne)

• New easy hacks, and already people working oin them
  • Many new tickets, but almost all of them need more info (logs etc)
  • The recent issues seems not be related to the new release, mostly setup/config issues and feature requests

Design bits (Pedro and others)

• Missing icons to get merged
  • Notebookbar overflow issue
  • Need to look into some of the fropfowns (highlight )

Other ongoing work

• Mert: pretty much finished with deepl.
    • Nicolas: Is this available just in Writer? And would that be complicated to do it for the others?
    • Kendy: yes, it uses the iteration through paragraphs even for the selection. Calc and Impress use completley different way to iterate between text.
  • Szymon: Mainly focused on fixing bugs (e.g.: calc, autofill selection, jumping cursor etc)

Next Meeting

04/08/2022

First of alll, as usual, I couldn’t say thanks enough for your work in particular, and what free-software means for me in practical and theoretical sense.

Now, on to what got me here to read and write (sorry for my english). I decided not to avoid to be prolix to try to help to increase visibility for Colllabora Online.

I have been using, advocating and increasing nextcloud spread locally within my sparse but somewhat broad collaboration network - be it research colleagues from ‘Universidade de Brasília’ (UnB), ‘Universidade Federal do Espírito Santo’ (UFES), Spain’s Universidad Complutense de Madrid(UCM)'*, or among comrades from Brazil’s ‘Sociedade Brasileira de Economia Política’(SEP) and Sociedad de Economía Política y Pensamiento Crítico de América Latina (SEPLA), or (paid-)workplace colleagues at Brazil’s Ministry of Health, Brazilian Federal District’s Statistics and Research Institute etc.

One recurring issue for me to ‘apologize’ with research/work colleagues (I apologize in the sense of me arguing that it must be partly a problem on my setup/config inabilities) is that of the jumping cursor.

I would like, then, to somehow get onboard to try to contribute in softening that issue. I am not a real developer, i am a data scientist/ economics (as in quantitative political economy) researcher and free software adopter/advocate. In that sense, I am aware of my limitations in contributing directly to such a probably very complex issue.

Is there already any pointers / detailed lists as to what small tasks /issues should be taken care in order to minimize most this annoying behavior?

Best Regards

Rodrigo Borges