Community Weekly Meeting 123

Collabora Online Weekly Meeting #123

Collabora Online Weekly Meeting #123

Date: Jun 15th 2023

All minutes published on:

Attendees (write your name):

  • Mike D, Timur, Darshan, Mike D (Tex), Nicolas, Gülşah, Ezinne, Symon, Anna, Shehr, Luigi, Gökay, Rashesh, Cosmin, Andras, Pedro, Thorsten, Gabriel, Aron, Michael, Caolán

Release schedule (Andras

  • 23.05

    • Released on Tuesday – it went well, have

      • Linux packages, docker, richdocuments-code

      • have it for 3 platforms: AMD64, ARM64, PPC64 ...

      • Pushed everywhere – waiting for feedback.

      • Now have many fewer repos that are distro agnostic …

        • simplifying instructions etc.

        • Debian 12 was announced – and packages should just work.

    • Next release is not yet decided …

      • fixing bugs we’re aware of … need feedback.

      • If something serious – can release quickly, if not, can take time.

    • Suggests in ~2 weeks another one (Michael)

      • need more performance work in there.

ASAN crash count drop

  • Is it real ? - did people stop using staging …

  • Timur and Ezinne are regularly using staging


  • Patrick is doing some great work to get 23.05 app working on iOS

    • need to get this merged; Marco needs to poke at keyboard entry bits.

  • Android / Chrome-Os apps needs pulling up from 21.11  to 23.05 too …

    • no point in investigating old 21.11 version on Android (Aron)

      • we need a new build there to test anything.

Forum (Mike D)

  • Mike D: 5 more posts responded to this week.

Dark mode

  • Paris has fixed Dark Mode for calc → patch pending review here; Miklos was helping out.

    • Paris filed a bug on the black cursor on black page

      • Fixed. Still we need to look at why the document page color sometimes doesn’t update when toggling (NC)

        • Darshan is taking a look at this

  • Darshan:

    • CSS image URL re-writing happens for proxy-mode (Michael)

      • Next → refactor this so to avoid code duplication (light/dark mode)

      • global.js “// re-write relative URLs in CSS …”

      • perhaps an idea for Szymon to look at.

      • Change w2ui impl. Of icons – so we can replace them …

        • so can replace URL from the code.

      • Szymon: looked into that but there is no need to re-write the relative URLS for Darshan merged PR

      • Calc headers glitch → fixed but not merged

      • Insert Formula object (writer) working on new regression (sidebar doesn’t appear and the frame box too small)

  • Andreas K. now helping left and right

    • Sidebar improvements to get in but need some work still

      • Pushed fixes one PR to get updated

  • Nextcloud has four themes – we should probably aim to match that:

    • high contrast dark & light, and dark and light (normal).

    • For now using the manual switch from the button …

      • perhaps we want to detect the browser’s dark-mode ?

    • AI: Having an enumeration like this pushed across
      the iframe + PostMessage update (Szymon)

      • will add another field in the UI defaults (Pedro)

Online activity (Pedro)

  • Gokay

    • working on Calc – improving sorting of columns

    • Working  on Calc: Sorting data coluns displaces the Chart label


  • Pull request backlog is growing

    • Please make sure CI is green before merging

    • Get another review as normal.

  • Szymon

    • JSDialog layout generic fixes

    • Debug logs → found that we were initializing Zotero when new user joins

      • Fixed

    • Linking API

      • Contains categories for presentations (so we don’t mix master slides and normal slides) → so we will be able to use the smartpicker to link to other document’s parts

        • Julius will also push something in the richdocuments side

      • Spreadsheets we have categories but we don’t have items

        • Item list is not implemented

        • Jumping is not yet implemented either

  • JSDialog conversion

    • Fix writer dialog now maybe 3 left

  • Shehr Pushed a new PR for that speeding calls

    • Now → Easy-hack pretty print. Sometimes the debugger stops at a break point sometimes it doesn’t

      • Szymon will check it, need a paste of that.

    • Hunting design glitches

    • Now → trying to improve the insert line

      • Nicolas: Maybe we could investigate some improvements around the handles

  • Gulsah

    •  Dialog Tabs improvements

      • Timur checked, let’s move to low prio

    • Smart picker option was always visible even if the integrator doesn’t have that capability

    • Sidebar: Animation section fixed, merged and released

    • Waiting for reviews

      • Prevent multiple tunneled dialog → Good to have Szymon’s eyes on that PR

      • Impress: slide sorter: enabling context menu (to insert slide and paste slide)

        • To do: to be able to insert slide in a particular position (in between 2 exisiting slides)

    • Other tasks in the pipeline (difficult to reproduce)

      • Ezinne the ipad issue is already resolved (the tabs are visible)

  • Rashesh

  • Luigi

    • Investigating / testing UI

      • Make sure no 404 erros appears and take a note of which ones are missing

  • Gabriel

    • working on upgrading 1&1 to 22.05

    • QA team finishing some tests of the migration – feedback was very good.

      • Much better than 21.xx – more stable etc.

  • Cosmin

    • mostly working on the update.

  • Nicolas

    • generally happy with big-ticket items

    • have a number of paper-cuts, should he file them ?

      • Yes – best to report on github (Pedro)

      • using staging a lot – and stumble around on minor UX things

        • documenting the competition.

Design bits (Pedro and others)

  • Pedro

    • Working on UI blockers from the final 23.05 release

    • And getting the last PRs in for tomorrow’s build


  • Translation stats to go out soon → SM and Forum

  • New contributors/or returning contributions → SM

LibreOffice conference (Gabriel)


  • Couple of branches:

    • implemeting RLE compression of delta cache in the Kit → save as lots of memory, and kernel work.

      • Want to get that merged soon …

    • more improtant → re-write of tile-caching in JS

      • something of a mess currently.

      • New version will manage Canvases properly & the associate memory

      • stores compressed versions of tiles.

      • De-bongs a lot in the CanvastileLayer …

    • still do a lot of discard of tiles … would be useful to have around.

  • Expectation → merge these this week … somehow, or early next week

    • +300 lines -500 lines in the core of tile rendering.

    • Some big improvements here.

  • Slide-show start-up performance ..

    • slow.   

Next meeting